Sunday, June 12, 2005

Sunday, Sunday...

I woke up this morning to light rain...that blocks out my plans for today. We were going to either spend the afternoon up in the Bighorn Mountains looking at the wild horses and some other things or I was going to take a walk up to Dirty Annie's (the local convenience store) for a little while. If the weather clears I will probably do the latter. I need a bit of solitude. It's amazing how you can never get any "me" time while you're in camp.

I am the first one awake this morning. It's amazing the stillness of the camp on our day off. Luckily the mess hall is open and I was able to make coffee!! Of course, everyone is sleeping in after going out last night. I became too pooped to pop to be honest. After we finished laundry about 10:30 I just couldn't put any energy into going to the bar or the dance. Not only that, but the dance seemed to be more of a high school gathering rather than adults. So, I came back to camp, put away my clothes and read for about 10 minutes before drifting off to sleep.

Yesterday was a tough day. We got up in the morning and got ready to go. We started out late because the Friday night laundry crew didn't get back until 12:30am. So off to Sheep Mountain we went about 9:00am. We spent the day there hiking and taking data until 3:00pm when we finally took off and headed back to camp. We got here about 4:00pm and then had camp cleanup until 5:30. Camp cleanup involves either cleaning the kitchen, cabins or showers. Then you do another hour of miscellaneous stuff. Yesterday those miscellaneous jobs were laying gravel along the walks, planting trees or pulling dead vines. The easiest of the three was planting trees and that's what I got to do. My body was so tired at that point that I was really happy. After cleanup, 20 minutes for showers, dinner and then off to do laundry until 10:30pm. Like I said, long day!

My jeans are getting too loose...I think I've lost about 15 pounds. If I haven't lost weight then I must be toning up because I have to wear my belt to keep my pants up. They are feeding us really, really well here...it's just all the physical exertion.

Well, coffee is ready and I'm going to go get a cup now, write up some postcards when I fully wake up, and just generally have a quiet Sunday. I think I'll ask someone if I can borrow a movie...that would be relaxing.

Take care and I'll post more tomorrow. Only 21 days until I arrive back in Wilmington....YAY!!
Paleogirl Rene

5 comments:

MJ said...

It seems like you've been gone forever....and please leave those 15lbs somewhere in the mountains! I don't want to find them.... Like I've always said...I wasn't cut out for camping and pioneering stuff; I'd have to wait for the train. I couldn't do this, but I'm so glad that I get the vicarious experience. Stay well. Can't wait for the next installment!

Anonymous said...

Hey girl...you are withering away for sure!!! Hahahahaha...I am doing chores today, mainly laundry and working on SDV swaps. We are all counting down the days till you return and we can have even more laughs over your adventure and makes us all feel like wimps...or at leat me...cuz I know girlfriend I would not of lasted!!!! I am more the "cleopatra type"....hahaha Have a great week! rhonda

Deborah said...

Hey Gorgeous,

I left the big city of McDonough, GA this morning at 7am on a mission to find some coffee. It is always like a hunt for gold when I am out of town. I stopped in at Kroger in Conyers, Ga thinking they might have a coffee shop in the store. No luck,so I asked in a dejected voice, "is there anywhere I can find a good cup of coffee in this town. The cashier said, "If you turn right coming out of the store there is a Starbucks right across from the Bank of America. I almost wept with joy and proceeded to go directly to the Starbucks. Life is good. How awesome that your pants are loose, you may have lost even more than you think. I am so jealous. Hope you have a good week and I will check ya later.

Love Deb

Anonymous said...

Renee, sounds like you are having a wonderful time on your lesiurely vacation.HEE HEE.
It really sounds interesting though.The pictures are great, ecspecially the rainbows That one is beautiful. WE miss you here.
So the pants need a belt to keep them up, isn't that awesome. Well, stay safe and keep hiking on.
Sandee

Diane said...

I am so proud of you.... and in awe of what you must be going through physically, and basically ... I just miss you.