Monday, August 01, 2005

Home Again...

Hello Everyone!!

Well, I made it home safe and sound from Iceland. Let me tell you, this country is really amazingly beautiful!! If you ever have a chance to go, DO IT!! The weather was spectacular and we also did a lot of sightseeing. The picture above was taken in Southwestern Iceland where the Mid-Ocean Ridge makes its presence known on land. For my non-geology friends, the mid-ocean ridge runs down the middle of the Atlantic Ocean. This is an area where the two continental plates are moving apart due to volcanic activity on that ridge...it is, essentially, the spreading point between the two plates. Anyway, it is only in Iceland that this ridge makes its presence known on land rather than under water. It was really fabulous to stand there! We did so many other things along with collecting our fossils. Also, a little tidbit of information...during the summer it never gets dark. I took pictures of the church in front of our hotel room at midnight and you'd swear it was about 8pm in the picture. During the winter they only have 3 hours of sunlight and the rest of the time it's dark...interesting, huh? It was hard to sleep with it always being light.

I started my new job today and I think it will be just fine. I have a lot of hours this week so that's good...it will help me catch up with what I spent in Iceland...haha. Everything was so expensive!! $2.50 to mail a postcard....$4.00 for a cup of coffee....$20 for a spaghetti dinner....$50.00 for an Iceland t-shirt (I didn't buy one...who can afford that for a plain old black t-shirt?)

Will close for now...trying to get my house cleaned up. It's amazing how much mess can collect when you don't clean every day and you have a 20 year old boy home alone...haha.

Big Hugs to All!!!
Paleogirl René

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you made it home safe and sound. Have fun at your new job. The picture is great.

Roxanne