Thursday, August 09, 2007

Back from CK and Workin' Like a Dawg!


Let me start off by saying that the CK Convention in Charlotte was wonderful! I took some really awesome classes (11 in all) and learned many new techniques. My "Bee Happy Mini-Book" is pictured at the top of the page.

There was one class though that was as crappy as heck and I will never take another class by this company as this is the 2nd time I've been burned by them (Little Black Dress Designs). The class, in my opinion, was pointless. Their product is the same crap they've been using for the past 4 years...they've made no progress. Additionally, the companies that sponsor the classes give out door prizes, sometimes TONS of them, to the attendees in the class. The company mentioned above "doesn't do prizes." Instead, they give you a 30% off coupon to order their items online through their company. Oh yea, okay...so you're giving me 30% off of a crappy, already over-priced product that was exciting 4 years ago but now has become stale AND I have to pay shipping and handling on top of it? Gee...thanks a bunch! Like I said, never again....readers, be warned!!

Upon returning home I have set to task on getting this thesis completed. One of my committee members really disliked my thesis saying it has "no purpose or direction" and that my data does not support my conclusions. He then proceeded to give me heck in an email when I asked for clarification of comments telling me that he hopes I treat my Ph.D. committee better by not springing items on them at the last minute and not consulting along the way. It's funny though, every person I've spoken to says that they only meet with the committee members once a year and that their thesis draft was handed over once the committee chair deemed it ready for committee, just as I did. So, chalk it up to my being lost again without a map.

So basically I have a ton, and I do mean a TON of revisions to go on this thesis. I'm going to be heading back to Wilmington on Sunday to spend the next full week there. I will defend my thesis on August 20th. I'm a bit intimidated at this point and that's why I want to spend the full week with my advisor prior to defending. I also need to get my powerpoint presentation ready. I thought my MSN horoscope was most befitting today....

"Your world may seem quite tight and rigid this morning, dear Virgo, but the good news is that difficulties are apt to melt away as the sun mounts to the high heavens. Don't assume that opinions, once stated, are fixed in stone. Things can change on a dime. Even if they seem one way at one point, more than likely, they are going to manifest themselves completely differently at the next."

Let's hope these rewrites do the trick....

No comments: