Thursday, October 04, 2007

My new ride!!


I've been so busy lately and have been on the road a lot here in town. Someone took a picture of me and I'm posting it above. hahaha

School has been awesome lately. Don't get me wrong - geochemistry is still kicking my butt - but other things about academia just make me so darn happy!! First off, let me say that my advisor is just wonderful. He really seems to be looking out for my best interest. Tricia did the same in Wilmington. So often you hear about bad advisors and how they lead their students astray. I have been blessed...truly. Today Colin (my UT advisor) and I were talking about the GSA meeting in Denver that I'm going to at the end of the month. He has planned to send everyone and anyone over to my poster presentation to "show me off." In this business it's all about who you know and how well you can work with them.

I have some amazing projects in the works. I have a couple of labs I am writing up into papers for a middle school journal. I am eager to get these published. They are a by-product of my time in the GK-12 program. I have initiated a project with core samples taken from the Ocean Drilling Program. I'll be putting together slides with microfossils and making a lab out of this as well. A couple of us will be working on this and hope to be able to get it published in a GeoScience Journal. Sally, my GK-12 advisor, is very pleased with my work and Colin says she is very interested in keeping me on for a second year. That is excellent news. And let's not forget that all of this means "excellent letters of recommendation" YAY!!

I am near completion on the writing of my thesis and should get the final stuff to UNCW within the next couple of weeks. Then I need to narrow it down a bit and get it published as well in a paleontology journal called PALAIOS.

I'll be heading down to my parent's home this weekend. My mom, sister, and I are going to a scrapbook crop. It will be fun to let my hair down a bit and work on some fun stuff. My weekends are overly booked for the next couple of weeks. Have I also mentioned I'm volunteering at a Gem & Mineral show AND a local geology museum?? Busy, busy, busy...

I just want to also say that even though the color is orange....coming to UT was one of the best decisions I have ever made in my life. I was aprehensive at first but it really has worked out beautifully for me....

Oh...and I bought a new car too in addition to my ride pictured above...a Jeep Liberty....she's beautiful!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

love the picture, so is that kinda like pimp my ride? gigglin........
from Diane!

Anonymous said...

OK, so, you know I never post anything, but, since I love you sooooooo much, here goes....
hope Denver is a hoot...miss you lots...I love California...the kids are great...I have the same ride as in the picture... I just dumped red wine on my computer...I'm such a loser!!!...but my eyebrows look great (professionally done)