Friday, March 28, 2008

Smile, Breathe, and Go Slowly...

I have been feeling really stressed lately as I make my way through my really crazy days. It takes a toll on me when I don't give myself "productive" down time. I'm sure you're asking yourself "what in the heck is productive down time?" Well, I have a tendency to just sit...I mean really sit...and do nothing at all that enriches my life. Things that would enrich my life include, but are definitely not limited to, scrapbooking, reading, or something else that makes me feel good about myself. So I was beebopping around the internet the other night and came across a blog entitled "12 essential rules to live more like a Zen monk." I liked what this guy said and although I'm not sure that some of these tips are practical in the life of a graduate student they are helpful. I'll list the abreviated version here but you can click on the link above to read in full.

1. Do one thing at a time.
2. Do it slowly and deliberately.
3. Do it completely.
4. Do less.
5. Put space between things.
6. Develop rituals.
7. Designate time for certain things.
8. Devote time to sitting.
9. Smile and serve others.
10. Make cleaning and cooking become meditation.
11. Think about what is necessary.
12. Live simply.

I'm starting with #1...this morning I scrapbooked...and did nothing else...and that, my friends, is why it is now 1:16pm and I am still in my jammies. I think I will finish this and go take a shower.

Namaste

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love the 12 sayings. and not only would love to adapt those to myself, but think each one is particularly good for you!

you are so awesome

love ya Diane