Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Cades Cove Photos

Tonight was my last photography class for this semester. We had to bring 4 pictures to upload to the teacher's computer and the class critiqued them. Below are two of my four. The first is a basket of apples that were about to become apple butter. The teacher really liked this photo but thought a couple of the shiny spots on the apples could have been toned down a bit.

The picture below was taken at the first stop, Uncle Somebody's Cabin. What I like about this photo is that you can see right through the cabin! Notice the door on the left and if you look through it you can see the leaves on the other side of the house. Isn't that cool? The teacher really liked this shot as well, which was nice, because the teacher was a bit frustrated with me on this stop at Cades Cove. I had put the wrong lens on my camera and in order to get a shot of the house I had to practically get into the woods. I saw one of his helpers tell him that I had a telephoto lens on and he looked at me and shook his head. When I presented this photo tonight he couldn't believe I'd gotten such a good shot of the cabin and said he'd never noticed the door on that side before. Some of the other students wanted to know if I'd touched up some of the colors in the photo but I haven't. It's just a pretty picture.

I'll be taking the Fundamentals of Photography class that starts in February and am very much looking forward to it. This next class will focus more on composition, flash, etc. rather than just understanding the basics of your camera. I have learned a TON from this class and cannot wait to move on for more!! After that class I think I'll try to take the nature photography one, or maybe the portrait class. But no matter what I do I have to say that this has been the best $179 I have ever spend on a non-academic class.

No comments: