Friday, January 02, 2009

How?

Yesterday I caught a couple of the episodes of Season 3 of the Biggest Loser on tv. These folks are losing 5-20 pounds a week...consistently. How in the heck does one lose 20 pounds in a week?? One guy lost 12 pounds 3 weeks in a row. How? HOW?? 100 pounds in 3 months? Seriously?? I'm all for lifestyle change but don't you think that this sends out the wrong message? Sure, these folks need to lose weight but isn't 12 pounds a little over the healthy 1-2 pounds per week that dieticians recommend? This is not realistic and I think it sets up others for failure. I'm sure for some it motivates, and that's great! But I've decided that I'm not watching this show again. I just can't watch the show without setting up the same type of expectation for myself and then being disappointed when I fail.
I did well with my healthy eating yesterday. I started off my day with a smoothie that had 1 cup of Chocolate Silk Soy Milk, 1/2 cup plain yogurt, 1/2 cup frozen blueberries and 1/2 cup frozen peaches. It was nummies!

4 comments:

MJ said...

When one does not have to live a "real" life with happiness, family issues, finances, trauma, stressors, school work, employment issues, etc., just eating the proper food, working with one's trainer, and sleeping the required amount of time, we all could be winners on the weight gain/loss merry-go-round consistently! In life's real reality, some days are diamonds, and some are stone. My opinion (and we all have at least one...) is that one must have the preparation to eat the proper foods, and the strength/fortitude to make the proper food choices when we are not in our "normal" routine. We have to be strong enough to avoid the seductive temptations offered by friends and family. Also, we must be firm about saying no, when "...only a taste won't hurt you." Any thoughts?

Anonymous said...

I do like watching the show because even though I havent' done anything about it yet ( meaning exercising ) it does encourage me to do it, and they do have some helpful hints I do like. But if one was held up on a ranch with foods to eat and working out 24/7 (so to speak) I'm guessing one would lose all that weight too in one week. However, I agree it can't be healthy to lose so much in one week.

Roxanne said...

I don't like the show because they put a soap-opera spin on it. Sometimes they feed on the weakness of some of the team members. If I were a junkie, would you wave crack in front of my face? If you think about it, we are programmed a bit by what we see on TV. 95% of the people on tv are all thin, the other 5% being ridiculed because they are not thin. In ancient times, women with a large girth were highly sought after....let's go back to that! I have a magnet on my fridge "With the time and energy I've spent dieting, I could have built a small fat-loving civilization!!" Ain't it the truth sister!!!

Chiara said...

I am a bit odd. I love the show and find inspiration from it. I have lost 32lbs through diet and exercise. I am sure I could loose as much as the contestants if that was my life for 3 months with no distractions but I live in the real world.
I really do like a lot of what Jillian and Bob say. As long as you lose 1-2 lbs a week and eat sensibly and move around you are doing great.