Friday, August 21, 2009

Alaska, continued...

Richard went rock climbing and rapelling while we were in Alaska. Here is a really good picture of him getting ready to rapell down the side of this cliff. This was the first time he'd ever done something like this and said he had a great time and would like to go again. I applaud him for his bravery. This is almost like falling out of an airplane to me.

When we were at Mendenhall Glacier we ran into a momma bear and her two cubs. We knew she was around as we could hear her in the brush and there were tons of salmon all over the place with the skin removed (the bears eat the skin as it has the highest fat content and leave the rest). Finally after waiting patiently for what seemed like hours we were rewarded with a sighting of this beautiful mom. And yes, we really were that close...

Nothing to do but lay around on a buoy. We circled this group of sea lions for just a few minutes. They didn't seem to mind us one bit. I love how they're layered on here.

Isn't this a beautiful ammonite?? Saw this in one of the local jewelry stores in Ketchikan. I think it was $15,000. I told 'em I'd just write a check...haha

More later, I promise...

1 comment:

Roxanne said...

Lovely pictures. I would like to try repelling but have to be able to hold my weight!! Ha!