Saturday, March 27, 2010

Revolution Participation...

For several months now I have been on my own personal crusade to stop eating processed food. Instead, I want to make my own from scratch and use fresh ingredients. Now don't get me wrong. I am not going to learn how to ferment my own soybeans to get soy sauce nor am I going to start raising chickens and cows! Instead, it's about adopting a simpler, healthier life. If weight loss occurs then great! But, it's not about that.

I am so excited that Jamie Oliver (one of my fav chefs) has a new show on ABC called "Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution." Basically he goes into schools and reinvents the school menu to include fresh foods rather than reheated frozen processed foods. Trust me, if you watch episode 2 and how the chicken nuggets are made you will NEVER eat them again.

The other day I made my own pizza dough and baked my own pizza using fresh toppings. The dough was so easy and I love knowing every single ingredient that went into the pizza. There were no mystery ingredients like you find in the ingredients list on most pre-made pizza crusts.

Today I made (for the first time ever) one of my most favorite desserts from scratch...tapioca pudding! Seriously, who knew it was so easy and only took 5 ingredients. I'll never buy that pre-made stuff again. Here's what it looked like before I put it in the fridge. Don't you just love it in the margarita glasses?

Tonight I am making a mexican soup called Sopa de Lima (recipe here). It's all fresh and I am excited.

I have posted a button at the top of my blog asking you to sign the petition to bring healthier foods into our schools. I think our children's health is a worthy cause that I don't mind putting my name to. Or, you can click here. Please join me.

1 comment:

Tracy said...

I love Jamie.
I got to watch the first show and missed the rest boohoo.
I am hoping they have a marathon of them when he is done. They did that with the one in the UK