Friday, July 09, 2010

Europe Day One: The White Cliffs of Dover!!

I returned just the other day from spending 15 glorious days in England and France. All together there were 953 pictures taken. I'm so happy to share a few of them with you here. First off, let me introduce you to the cast of characters that I hung out with. This first picture is overlooking the English Channel. We are staring at the White Cliffs of Dover with the channel in the background. From left to right we have: Will, his new wife Megan, Mike, and me. Will is my office buddy and is studying blastoids. Megan is a planetary type meaning she studies stuff in outer space...I feel stupid right now because I am not sure what her research is on but I'm thinking either Mars or asteroids. Mike is a minerals kind of guy. He is doing wacky experiments with olivine and dolomite. And then there's me...studying my little edrioasteroids and trying to understand their paleoecology.

Here we have Dover Castle. This castle was used as a safeguard against those who would come in from the sea. It is an amazingly beautiful place inside. It was up on the hill behind our B&B. I visited this castle many years ago on one of my first visits to England.

And here's me, standing at the base of the White Cliffs. Now, for those that don't know what the cliffs are made of, think teeny-tiny-itty-bitty fossils. Yes, fossils! These guys that make up the chalk are so small that you have to use one of those special SEM microscopes to see what they look like. The number of these fossils that it took to make the cliffs is just astronomical. I can't even imagine what the number would look like.

The cliffs were truly amazing and I took some samples for my collection. I also happen to love this picture of me. Mike took it and I think he did a great job! It's so good, in fact, that it's one that I printed out to add to my travel wall.
More tomorrow!!

No comments: