Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Field work in Cincinnati...

I spent a week in Cincinnati doing my summer field work. I thought we were going to die! The temperatures were hovering around 112 degrees in the shade! There were several times I nearly passed out from the heat and dehydration. Thank goodness I'd thought to pack a cooler filled with tons of water and ice. The picture below shows you how hot it was...you can see it in my face.

Here I am, down on the ground doing my thing. The pink dots are the locations of the organisms I study. They are marine organisms related to modern day starfish. I'm trying to figure out how they utilized the substrate. Just an FYI, but approximately 400 million years ago Cincinnati was ocean. The ground that I'm laying on is 400 million year old ocean floor.

Yep, geology is way too cool!!

1 comment:

roxanne said...

Awesome, can't wait to see you in a couple of weeks...