Sunday, October 02, 2011

I just don't understand...

Life in Connecticut is not what I expected. Even though I'm making more money ($55K vs. $15K), so much is being taken out in taxes and to pay rent and utilities, that I am living poorer than I have lived before. It cost me so much to move here, expenses that were not reimbursed by the university. If my budget continues the way it is right now (which accounts for absolutely nothing fun) then I will have to get a second job in January to be able to pay student loans because I will have $18/month after bills to buy groceries and gas for the car. Yes, seriously.

I feel like I'm dying inside, one paycheck at a time. I hate the house I am living in. I rarely find joyous moments since moving here. I thought getting a PhD was supposed to improve your life. I feel it's been my ruin. Will I ever be able to do the things I love again?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh Rene, I am so sorry that things are so tough for you right now. It sucks when you have no funds to do the things you love. You have to believe it will get better, maybe this is just the paying your dues time, although I know you feel you have done enough of that through getting your Masters and PHD. just think of the day you will be able to go on Sabbatical for 6 months with a future university after getting tenure and have your expenses paid and get full salary. I know it will happen for you. You have worked too hard for it not too.

Your biggest fan,

Deborah

PS. Don't go on my blog expecting to see a post cause I still have not updated it so just deal with it chick!!!!!!!