Saturday, November 26, 2011

An update...

I want to start off by saying that my last post was not my usual jovial self. It's been very difficult living here in CT with no money and no friends. Hopefully that will change with the new year as I have rented out my Knoxville home. Paying both rent and mortgage, along with all of the numerous bills associated with both homes, has been really tough. Look for more upbeat posts from today forward.

Today I headed into Hartford to visit the Harriet Beecher Stowe House. WOW! What an amazingly beautiful home! For those that don't know, HBS wrote "Uncle Tom's Cabin." I took a special tour of the home. We were greeted at the front door of the home by Hattie Stowe, Harriet's oldest daughter. This was a lovely woman dressed in period costume. We were instructed to remember that we had been transported back to the late 1800's and that our questions had to reflect that date. Specifically, HBS was alive at that time so asking the actress about her Mother's death would be confusing to her.

The woman who played Hattie was exceptional! The tour began explaining that HBS had gone away for a bit of vacation but that Hattie would show us the home. We went through each room and I was so intrigued by the number of books. After the tour we found out that the actress is the museum collections manager and that all of her training has come from her history degree and her job in the museum collections. She was totally in period and I absolutely loved her presentation.

Here is a picture of the house

A picture with me and Hattie. She was fabulous!!


Afterwards, I headed to a Hartford icon, Woody's, for a hotdog and fries. I first saw this place on the news and it has been on several shows (Man vs. Food) as having excellent hotdogs. I had the southern dog, covered in chili and slaw. It was DELICIOUS!! A footlong, all beef dog, with a perfectly toasted grilled bun. Love, love, LOVE it!

Here's my lunch...

A picture of me with Woody. Loved him!!!

After all of this fun I headed back into Manchester and took back a pair of shoes to LL Bean, and then stopped in Michael's for some beading material. There's a bracelet I want to try to make for myself. Will update more as my life gets back to normal.

Namaste.

No comments: