Saturday, December 31, 2011

A Visit to Middletown, CT...

I needed a day away from Willimantic and I've been craving a stack of new books to read. I love to buy used books so I found a shop that was fairly local and headed that way. The drive took about an hour, but I drove through the backroads rather than the freeway. I just wanted to slow down my pace a bit. This is a picture of Main Street in Middletown. It's a quaint town and I enjoyed the feel. It's very gloomy today, a sign of the winter to come, I'm sure.

I stopped in at the Emporium for lunch. They have a ton of teas to try and also some coffee offerings. The people behind the counter weren't overly friendly though. Not sure I'd go back.

This is my lunch. It's a cuban sandwich. I'd never had an authentic cuban, and honestly this wasn't one either. The bread is focaccia, not the roll you normally find associated with this sandwich. It was good though and the spicy mustard cleared out my sinuses!

Then off to the bookstore, located below the restaurant. This is a small hole-in-the-wall place. I went with a list of books on my Amazon wishlist, however, I only found one of the list in the store. Oh well.

Obviously, that didn't stop me from finding other new things to read! I picked up 7 new books! Hopefully this will keep me going for a short while. I have felt so lost the few nights without a good book to read. I did have "Great Expectations" on my nightstand but I find I just can't get into it. 'Tis okay...life is too short to try to force yourself through a book you have no interest in.

I was so disappointed on the way home from this adventure because the GPS decided to take me on the freeways! GAH!! I don't mind driving on freeways but I find I really like the old backroads when I'm not in some type of a hurry or when I don't have an appointment. The feel of the journey on the way home was so much different than the way there for this exact reason. I'll be sure to tell the GPS I want an alternate route to go home from now on.

All in all, it was a good day. It's New Year's Eve here and I've been thinking about my One Little Word for 2012 as well as the goals I'm hoping to set for myself. I'll write more about those tomorrow.

Namaste.

No comments: