Tuesday, January 10, 2012

New York City Day 1

I was selected to be in the Martha Stewart Show audience on Monday, January 9th, so I decided to take the train down to NYC for the weekend. The train ride was great! I just parked the car in New Haven and jumped on the train. A couple of hours later I was in Grand Central Terminal. I thought the subway system would be scary to figure out but I was very mistaken! A couple of short subway rides later and I was at my stop.

My hotel was nice. I stayed at the Four Seasons Sheraton in Chelsea. I chose this hotel because it was just a couple of blocks away from the Chelsea Studios where MS tapes her show. At check in I was given a complimentary "Welcome" cupcake. It was delicious!! It was spice cake with cream cheese frosting. I hadn't eaten since early morning (and it was now close to 2:00pm) but I wanted to save my appetite for my first stop. Here's a picture of my cupcake.


Stop #1...Katz's Deli! This is where the famous "I'll have what she's having" scene from "When Harry Met Sally" was filmed. While waiting in line I was able to snap this photo of the sign hanging from the ceiling.


So Katz's was packed...and I do mean packed!! There seemed to be no rhyme or reason to the lines to get a sandwich, but somehow I managed.


This was my lunch...half a pastrami sandwich on rye and a bowl of matzo ball soup. The sandwich was absolutely divine...I swear it was the best pastrami I have ever had in my life. De-flippin-licious!! The matzo ball soup was new for me. The matzo balls were very light but they had an odd texture, and since I'm a texture eater, it wasn't very appealing to me. I did eat about half of it though. The broth was wonderful though. Enjoyed my lunch very much!!


Even though I was stuffed to the gills leaving Katz's, I stopped just a few doors down at a small bakery and had a cup of coffee and a linzer tart. They are one of my absolute favorite cookies. This hit the spot perfectly while I made my next plans.


I decided to head into Chinatown to see if I could pick up something for a friend. Unfortunately I couldn't find what she'd asked me for. But, I did see Zarin Fabric! This is the store that Jill Zarin and her husband own. Who is she? Real Housewives of New York. Anyway, it was closed so I couldn't go in to check it out.


After Chinatown I headed back to my hotel. Later I headed out and saw this pizza truck. One of my goals was to try a few food trucks while I was in NYC and was excited to try this one. Well, the pizza was definitely below par. The sauce was good but the crust was burnt as were the vegetables on top. The sausage seemed to be nothing more than store bought crap, sliced and thrown onto the pizza. So, if you're ever in NYC stay clear of this food truck.

That finished up day one of the trip. I was exhausted!! I must have walked several miles and boy did my feet hurt. Totally worth every moment.

I'll post Day 2 of my trip tomorrow.
Namaste.

No comments: