Saturday, March 03, 2012

Just Another Saturday...

Today I had several things to do.  First off, I started the day at school.  The rock and mineral exam for my students is coming up in 2 weeks and I wanted to get it, along with a practice test, together for the students.  I spent the morning at school doing this.  I am so happy to have that out of the way.  Afterwards I headed out to do a bit of shopping.  I needed dog food and a few things from the Ocean State Job Lot (it's like a Big Lots).  I bought myself a cute bench scraper for $3.99.  I've wanted one for a long time and wanted to treat myself.

Speaking of treating myself....I headed next to Starbucks on my way to the University of Connecticut.  I picked up my favorite drink from there...a green tea frappuchino....delicious!!


Next is was a trip to the Connecticut Museum of Natural History.  Okay, so this is the smallest museum I've ever been in but they had this cool "Witch Hazel Broom."  I had to look up what it was when I got home because there was no explanation.  Here's what I found:

"This was how brooms were made before the introduction of Broom Corn in Colonial Times. They were made from witch hazel.  Witch Hazel Brooms are truly one of a kind. They are made from one piece of wood, and the size and shape is more or less dictated by the piece of wood chosen. Knots and blemishes add to the character of each broom."  Cool, huh?


Finally, the reason I headed to UConn was to see a talk being given by Dr. Kenneth Noll about his trip to the seafloor, entitled "Life in the Deep Sea as Seen by Alvin."  Here is a picture of me with Ken.  He's showing off the styrofoam cup that went to 2,000m depth while strapped in a mesh bag to the outside of Alvin.  The extreme pressure causes the cup to compress, removing the air contained in the cells of the styrofoam.  Pretty darn cool!  The pictures and video were just amazing.  One of the best talks I have ever been to in my life!

Namaste.

No comments: