Saturday, April 28, 2012

My Mom's Pork Roast with Herbed Pepper Rub

I love the pork roast my Mom makes in the oven.  It's covered in Parmesan cheese and herbs and is absolutely delicious.  However, it takes hours in the oven at a very low temperature.  I don't make it very often because I don't want to have to watch the oven.  Instead, I like the convenience of a crock pot.  Just put the stuff in and go.  What I don't like is that the meat always comes out so soft and there is a ton of liquid in the bottom of the crock pot.  It just turns me off.  So the other day I was watching a cooking show about slow cooking.  The chef used a crushed up loaf pan in the bottom of the crock pot so that the roast was up off of the bottom of the crock pot.  This solved the watery roast/change in meat texture issue.  So I thought I'd definitely try this method to cook my Mom's pork roast.

It just so happens that I had one of those loaf pans in my cabinet, but you could just as easily use some tin foil that you had crushed up into balls and put into the bottom of the crock pot.  It should look something like this.


Next, put some water (about a cup) into the bottom of the crockpot and put your roast on top of the base you just created from the foil.  Should look like this.


I then let the roast cook on low for about 6 hours (this was a very small roast.  I am a single girl so I usually cut any large roasts down into halves).  After the roast was done, I removed it from the crock pot and let it rest.  WOW!!  Now this was a delicious pork roast!!  The best part was that you didn't have that watery mess that changes the texture of the pork.  Instead, it was as if you'd cooked it in the oven.  I will definitely try this method again with other recipes.


Mom's Pork Roast with Herbed Pepper Rub

3 lb boneless pork loin roast
2 T black pepper
2 T grated parmesean cheese
2 t dried basil
2 t rosemary
2 t thyme
1/4 t garlic powder
1/4 t salt

Mix dry ingredients together and roll roast in the mixture until coated.  Place in crockpot on top of crushed tin loaf pan or tin foil ball.  Cook 10 hours on low.  (Again, my roast was about 1 pound so it only took about 6 hours on low).

If you are going to cook this in the oven, then wrap coated roast in tin foil and bake at 275 degrees for 5 hours.

It's delicious!!


1 comment:

Lisa said...

What a great idea to use foil to keep your roast up out of the juices in the crock pot! I'll have to try it.