Monday, October 22, 2012

Ode to a Diner...

 I was headed home after the NWS open house and saw this little place, called Hunka Pie (yes, I do realize it says Starlite Diner, but there is a little sign that says it's now called Hunka Pie...go figure..haha).  Anyone that knows me knows that I have a thing for diners and also for supporting independent businesses.  It was lunchtime so I figured I'd stop for a bite.  I was not disappointed.

 I always seem to order a hotdog when I stop in to a diner.  I love, LOVE hotdogs but I rarely make them at home.  Today I tried a bacon wrapped hotdog and an order of hand-dipped onion rings.  The hotdog was okay (the bacon was too crispy because it had been deep fried and I thought I was going to lose a tooth on one piece), but the onion rings were unbelievably good!  I could have eaten a whole order of just those.  And then it was time for dessert.  What to have...what to have....hmmm...

Which one shall I choose...which one shall I choose....they all looked so delicious in the pie cabinet, and the waitress told me that they were fresh baked every day.  So I decided to go with my favorite pie flavor...Key Lime.

 
This pie was great!  I think the baker puts some brown sugar in the graham cracker crust because it had a caramel taste to it.  There was also just the right amount of butter to hold it all together.  I also liked that he didn't color the key lime green!  After 2 bites I had to ask for a to-go box because I was so full.  All in all, a pretty darn delicious stop.  I love having days where I feed both my mind and my tummy.

What's your favorite pie flavor?  Can you pick just one?
Namaste.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

That looks delicious! We have a Korean diner in town that wraps a hot dog in bacon and then tops it with bulgagi and kimchi. It's awesome! As for pie, I think my favorite is strawberry rhubarb. I love pie... :)

Rene said...

Lisa - mmmm on strawberry rhubarb pie! I am in a pie baking phase right now, trying to perfect a good pie crust. There will be some pie posts in the near future. :)