Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Old-Fashioned Pot Roast


My week is always so busy now with teaching five classes at school.  I've been trying to do some cooking on the weekends so that I have lunches and dinners ready for the week.  I was able to get a good deal on a chuck roast the other day and thought I'd make an old-fashioned pot roast.  You know the kind, where it cooks for a few hours over a low stove burner.  My ex-husband's grandmother made one of the best pot roasts I've ever had and I am always trying to recreate it.  She was a lovely lady...probably the only one in his family that understood me.  Broke my heart when I had to tell her we were getting a divorce.  Anyway, I digress...

The pot roast came out lovely.  Here's what I did.

Make a dredge of flour, salt, pepper, and garlic powder.  Dredge your pot roast in that.
Put a few tablespoons of oil in the bottom of a heavy duty dutch oven and heat.
Put roast in the dutch oven and allow to brown on both sides.
Pour in a can of Progresso French Onion Soup.
Add one chopped onion and 2 stalks of celery, chopped.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for one hour over the low flame.
Add 3 medium potatoes and 3 carrots, chopped.
Cover and allow to simmer again over the low flame for about an hour and a half to two hours.
Allow to cool so you don't burn your mouth on its deliciousness.
There's nothing like old fashioned cooking.

 After eating dinner I divided up the roast and veggies into 5 individual containers.  Lunch for the week!  This also freezes well, but I don't like the texture of frozen potatoes so I just refrigerate mine.
Enjoy!
Namaste.

2 comments:

Beauty and the Scientist said...

Looks super yummy :)

Rene said...

Beauty...it was delicious. Nothing like an old-fashioned slow-cooked meal, just like Gramma used to make.