Thursday, October 25, 2012

Who doesn't love banana bread?

I have had a long-standing rule for myself - except in times when it's not possible, I only allow myself to eat sweets that I have baked.  I figure it this way, I know what's going into the baked goods and I also have to do some work for the rewards.  Now, I've never been good at baking banana bread.  Not sure why but I can never get the center to set.  That was, until I found the following recipe in one of my old Pillsbury cookbooks.  I share the recipe with you here.  It seems to come out perfect every time.

Banana Bread

3/4 c. sugar
1/2 c. margarine or butter, softened
2 eggs
1 cup (2 medium) mashed ripe bananas
1/3 c. milk
2 c. all purpose flour
1 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt

Heat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease bottom only of 9x5 or 8x4 inch loaf pan (I now use parchment paper instead of greasing..love it!)  In large bowl, beat sugar and butter until light and fluffy.  Beat in eggs.  Add bananas, milk, and vanilla; blend well.  In small bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and salt; mix well.  Add to banana mixture; stir just until dry ingredients are moistened.  Pour into greased pan.

Bake at 350 degrees for 50 to 60 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.  Cool 5 minutes; remove from pan.  Cool completely.  Wrap tightly and store in refrigerator (or you could do like I do...slice it, put the slices in ziploc bags, and store in the freezer.  This way I just have to grab one little packet when I want a slice, and putting it in the freezer helps maintain its freshness).

Enjoy!
Namaste.

No comments: