Thursday, November 29, 2012

Field Trip!

One of the perks of my job is getting to go on field trips.  I tell people all the time that a day in the field is so much more fulfilling than a day in the classroom.  Students learn more by having an opportunity to look at the rocks first hand and having time to evaluate what is going here.  Here are a couple of pictures that one of my students took while I was teaching about the formation of the Ouachita Mountains.  In the first picture students almost had heart failure when I put a piece of kaolinite clay on my tongue (the clay absorbs water and sticks to your tongue.  They couldn't believe I would put a rock in my mouth...haha).


In this next picture I am teaching students about the different rock layers and describing how Little Rock used to be under very deep ocean water.  By looking at the rocks we can see how sea level changed over millions of years.  The students could not believe we were standing where a very deep ocean used to be.

Love my days in the field!
Namaste.

No comments: