Saturday, July 13, 2013

Chocolate Cherry Cookies...


***Before reading this recipe, you should know the following:  I have a thing for maraschino cherries and almond extract.  I could wear both scents as perfume.  I think it goes back to the original Jergen's lotion scent that my great-grandmother used to wear.  Anyway, I digress.  You must try the following recipe!***

Okay, I have found my new favorite cookie! These things are unbelievably good.  They are also really easy to make.  I found the original recipe here, but of course I tweaked it a little bit to fit more with my tastes.  Here's the recipe.

Ingredients:

  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/3 cup salted butter, softened
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 teaspoon almond extract (this is a very important ingredient!)
  • 1 jar/can/container maraschino cherries (enough for 24ish cookies)
  • 1 cup chocolate chips
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 2 tablespoons milk (I used 2%)

Directions:
  1. Preheat your oven to 375°. 
  2. Cut maraschino cherries in half and put aside.
  3. Mix the flour baking powder and salt together. 
  4. In a separate bowl cream the sugar and butter.  Beat until light and fluffy.
  5. Add egg, vanilla, and almond extract. 
  6. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet, while mixing. If your batter seems dry you can add a spoonful of milk to soften it up a bit… I did.
  7. Roll the dough into 1 ½ inch diameter cookie balls. I like to poke an imprint into the center with my thumb, insert the cherry, and pinch off the opening to seal the deal. Do it however you like. 
  8. Place the cookies on a greased cookie sheet, with at least 2 inches of growing room between them. 
  9. Cook for about 11 minutes, remove and let cool completely (patience is a virtue… or something). 
  10. Allow cookies to cool for about 15 minutes.
  11. For the chocolate coating, place your butter, milk, and chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl and microwave for about 20 seconds, mix well. 
  12. Repeat that microwaving/mixing process in 20 second intervals a few more times until it’s just melted. 
  13. When the cookies are cold, dip them in the chocolate sauce upside down to give them a lovely chocolate Yamaka.
  14. If your patience pot is empty, eat away. Otherwise, wait until the chocolate hardens and THEN eat your heart out.  I could not wait until the chocolate hardened.  These were just too good!!
I tried the cookies with the chocolate coating and without.  Definitely do the coating. It adds so much to the flavor!

Try these.  You won't be disappointed!!
Namaste.

No comments: