Monday, July 15, 2013

Italian Beefy Bites...

I love my dog.  Seriously think she's the most adorable creature ever.  I treat her like she's human, and I always want the very best for her.  Last week we headed down to the local farmer's market (she went because she's a very social animal and likes to meet new people) and I spent $6 for a handful of these little balls called "Beefy Bites".  These were homemade by the land selling them, and she had put the ingredient list on the side.  Honor LOVED these beefy bites!!  But at $6 a pop, these things could get quite expensive.  So I decided to see if I could find a recipe online...and I did!!  These things were so easy to make!  You can find the original recipe here.

Now, I cut everything in half because I wanted to be sure Honor was going to eat them before I put a lot of money into them.  I also used my truffle-sized ice cream scoop for these rather than rolling them out by hand.  Here's what they look like and about how many I got out of the half batch

Here is the recipe so you don't have to click over.  Notice - no preservatives or anything else that you couldn't/wouldn't feed to a human.  In fact, I bet these taste pretty darn good.

Italian Beefy Bites

Ingredients:
2 cups cooked ground beef (about 2/3 lb. raw)
1 can (6oz) tomato paste
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup nonfat dry milk
2 large eggs

Directions:
1.  Preheat your oven to 350 and lightly grease 2 baking sheets.
2.  Brown the ground beef.
3.  Using a slotted spoon, transfer the cooked beef crumbles to a large mixing bowl.
4.  Add the tomato paste and toss until the beef is coated.
5.  Add the cheese, flour, dry milk and eggs and mix well.  Note:  I used my Kitchenaid mixer and it did a FABULOUS job of mixing these up!
6.  Drop the mixture by teaspoonfuls onto your greased baking sheets.  Note:  These don’t really expand while baking, so drop them onto the sheet in a size that would work best for your dog.
7.  Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the bottoms of the treats are a nice golden brown.
  • Makes 50-60 bite-sized dog treats
  • Store these in the refrigerator
And this is the loving face you'll see when you share these Italian beefy bites with your little bundles of fur!  You have to picture the tail wagging a mile-a-minute for the full effect of excitement Honor exhibited when I asked her if she wanted a beefy bite.

 Namaste.

No comments: