Monday, July 08, 2013

Mom's Fresh Cucumber Pickles

Ah, summer. My mom used to make the most fabulous pickles every summer.  It was torture waiting for the cucumbers to become pickled, and once they were ready I devoured them.  I finally asked my mom for the recipe a few years ago and I make these now year round.  These are almost as easy to make as ice cubes!  Here's what you need:


 

2 cloves garlic, peeled and placed in jar
2 cucumbers, sliced and placed in jar
1 teaspoon celery seed
1 tablespoon salt
1 cup vinegar
1 cup water

Yes, those are all the ingredients.  Peel the garlic and put into a jar.  I happen to use mason jars that came from other things I've purchased in the past, but any clean jar will work. Wash the cucumbers, slice into pickle shapes, and put in jar (forgive the lowly 1/2 cucumber in the picture above.  I forgot to take a picture of all the ingredients before I cut up the cucumbers...DOH).  In a bowl or other container, mix the remaining ingredients.  Pour this liquid over the cucumbers.  When done, this is what you'll have...

Place your jars into the refrigerator and wait 2 days before eating (if you can...seriously, they are that good).  My mom's instructions say they stay good for up to 2 weeks, but I've made big batches with lots of jars and they stay good for over a month.  These are so easy you'll never buy dill pickles again.  Enjoy!!

Namaste.

No comments: