Thursday, August 15, 2013

REAL American Hero...


Last night I had the opportunity to go see Dr. Buzz Aldrin speak about his new plan to go to Mars.  If you'll recall, Buzz Aldrin was the 2nd person to step on the moon, after Neil Armstrong.  The event was held at the Robinson Center in downtown Little Rock.  The house was packed!!  In fact, I think every seat was taken.  The announcer said it was the most attended talk ever given by the Clinton Center (a part of the Clinton Presidential Library, also in Little Rock).  I got so choked up listening to him talk about his trip to the moon and stepping out onto the lunar surface.  Seriously, nearly tears because I was so proud to be American.

One of the things that hit me the most was when he talked about our current space program, and how it was SUCH A MISTAKE to stop the shuttle program.  We, the builders of the space station, have absolutely no way on our own to GET to the space station!!  Instead, we pay the Russians $65 million dollars every time we need an astronaut to "hitch a ride" on one of their rockets!!  This is NOT how the leader of the free world stays ahead!  We, as a nation, are quickly losing any power we have had in the past, and the space program is but one example of this.

Afterwards I started thinking about the attendance numbers and how everyone clapped and stood for ovation after ovation, and I tried to think of an explanation.  And then it hit me.  We, well some of us, are desperately seeking a REAL American hero...someone we can look up to.  I think we're all getting tired of the Kim K's of the world (I personally have never watched that show and have given up all of the Real Housewives) because they do nothing to make us feel any better.  We all live very busy, demanding lives, and we need moments that are "feel good".  Seeing Buzz Aldrin, this man who took a chance and went TO THE MOON is just such that type of hero we're trying to find today.

Last night after I got home I took Honor out to go potty before bedtime.  I looked up into the beautiful clear sky and saw the moon...and I thought to myself that Buzz Aldrin can actually point to the moon and say "I've been there".  I am so envious!  And so proud!

Namaste.

No comments: