Thursday, November 27, 2014

Thanksgiving Day...


Thanksgiving is such a lovely time of year.  I'm hoping to enjoy the four days off and get a few things crossed off my list.  The school semester is always so busy, so I find that this time off is a real treat. Only a week and a half after we go back and then it's a nice long break for Christmas.

I've worked on a couple of things today.  The first was switching out the old mercury thermostat with a new digital thermostat.  I'm hoping that having the programmable mode will allow me to save some money on my heating bill this winter.  Honestly, I was really nervous installing this thermostat because I have a healthy reverence for electricity.  However, it went fairly smoothly and I'm pleased with the results so far.  Turning it on and the house not blowing up boosted my confidence...haha.

 

This year for Thanksgiving it's just me and Honor.  Instead of picking up a huge turkey, that we'd end up eating for weeks and weeks, I decided to pick up a large (6 pound) chicken.  I found a great brine recipe (you can find it here Turkey Brine Recipe).  I cut the recipe in half and it turned out perfect.  I don't know if I'll ever cook a chicken/turkey again without using this brine.  Here's the chicken after allowing it to sit and rest for about an hour while I finished up the other items.  You really must try this recipe.
 

Here is my obligatory Thanksgiving plate picture:  chicken thigh, stuffing, Brussels sprouts, mashed potatoes, homemade gravy, and whole cranberry sauce.  Delicious!


Honor had her own little Thanksgiving, too.  You can't see her drooling, but rest assured that she is.  I've taught her since she was a puppy to wait for my go-ahead to eat.  That's how I was able to get this picture.  She thinks Thanksgiving is the most delicious holiday ever.


After Thanksgiving dinner it's time for a nap.  Honor is laying at my feet on her ottoman.  We've got our little heated throw turned on.  She absolutely loves the heated throw.  Yea, she's not spoiled at all.


One of my Thanksgiving traditions is to watch one of my favorite movies, Love Actually.  It just never gets old.  It also doesn't hurt that my boyfriend is in the movie, either.


Finally, winding down the evening with a bit of crochet.  I'm working on a few Christmas gifts and I find this so relaxing.


Hope you've had a lovely day.
Namaste.

No comments: